Over the last decade, the use of rideshares has increased significantly. Millions of people throughout the United States use rideshare apps like Uber and Lyft for transportation. While this new mode of transit is convenient, it can also be dangerous. A surprising number of people are injured in Uber & Lyft accidents each year.
At Ranz Injury Law, PLLC, our lawyers provide dedicated representation for individuals who have been injured or lost a loved one in rideshare accidents throughout Federal Way, WA. We take on even the toughest cases and win.
If you or your loved one was injured in a rideshare accident, call or text attorney David Ranz at 206-429-5227 for a free, no-obligation case evaluation
What You Need to Know About Uber and Lyft Accidents
Rideshare accidents are commonplace in Washington and throughout the United States. The multi-billion dollar rideshare industry is used by millions of people each day. The high volume of rideshare traffic increases the risk that you or someone you love will be involved in an Uber or Lyft accident.
If you are involved in a rideshare accident in Federal Way, you need to take these steps:
- Contact 911. Law enforcement can help to get you the medical treatment you need if you are injured.
- Collect evidence at the scene. If you are able, take pictures and videos of any damage to the vehicle and your injuries. The more you document in the immediate aftermath of the accident, the better. You should also obtain contact information for anyone involved in the accident or from eyewitnesses.
- Report the accident to the rideshare company. Make sure to report the accident as quickly as possible to Uber or Lyft. The incident should be well documented.
- Document everything that happened. Make sure that you take detailed notes about what happened before, during, and after the accident.
- Seek medical treatment. Even if you were not taken to the hospital or are unsure about the extent of your injuries, you still need to seek medical attention. Failing to be seen by a doctor could negatively impact your case and your physical recovery.
- Contact a rideshare accident lawyer. It is always a good idea, even if you are not sure who or what caused the accident, to consult with a qualified Uber or Lyft attorney.
It is important to remember that you need to act quickly. You only have a limited amount of time to file a claim for damages.
Call or text 206-429-5227 or contact us for a free case evaluation with a top accident attorney in Federal Way, David Ranz.
What Kind of Damages Are Available in Rideshare Accidents?
If you are injured in a rideshare accident caused by another person’s negligence or wrongdoing, you might be entitled to compensation.
Damages in a rideshare accident case may include money to cover your:
- Medical bills
- Lost wages
- Loss of future earning capacity
- Future care and treatment
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of consortium
- Loss of enjoyment of life
To determine how much your case is worth, you need to speak to an Uber or Lyft accident attorney. An attorney can review your case to determine how much you should ask for in damages.
What Are the Leading Causes of Uber & Lyft Accidents?
As with other car accidents, rideshare crashes are generally the result of negligence. Uber and Lyft drivers are usually on the road for long periods of time. They may work odd hours or longer than normal to help supplement their income. Unfortunately, these conditions can make it more likely that an accident will happen.
Common causes of rideshare accidents include:
- Fatigued or drowsy driving
- Driver inattention
- Driving under the influence
- Aggressive driving
- Failing to yield or stop
- Following too closely
If you are involved in a rideshare accident, it is essential that you contact an attorney immediately. You may be entitled to compensation regardless of whether you were a passenger, driving another vehicle, or a pedestrian struck while walking.
Who Is Liable in an Uber or Lyft Accident?
One of the big questions in Uber and Lyft accident cases is who was at fault. If the rideshare driver was responsible for the accident, then an Uber or Lyft insurance policy may cover your losses. The policy limits, however, will depend on whether the rideshare driver was waiting for a ride request, was en route to pick someone up, or had a passenger in the vehicle.
If the at-fault rideshare driver was not using the app when the accident occurred, then their personal auto insurance may be the only applicable policy. Because of the unique insurance situation, it is strongly recommended that you retain an attorney as early in the process as possible.
Injured in a Rideshare Accident? Contact Our Office.
Were you injured in a rideshare accident in Federal Way, Washington? Contact our office today at (206) 429-5227 to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation. Our attorneys will walk you through the process and help determine your legal options. Call now to discuss your case directly with a member of our legal team.