What You Can Do If You Have Been Injured in an Electric Scooter Crash in Washington
Electric scooters offer riders a convenient, affordable, and environmentally friendly mode of transportation, which is why they have become so popular in recent years. However, with the rise of Lime, Bird, and other micromobility devices across the state of Washington, there has been a significant increase in crashes involving electric scooters. If you've been injured in a Lime or Bird scooter accident, you might be wondering what your legal options are. This article provides the latest electric scooter accident statistics and what you can do if you were injured in such a crash.
To discuss your legal options after an e-scooter crash, contact Ranz Injury Law, PLLC. Our Washington scooter accident lawyers can guide you through the claims process and assist you in securing the maximum recovery available. Call (206) 429-5227 today to schedule a free consultation.
Electric Scooter Accident Statistics
The following are the latest statistics on electric scooter accidents in the U.S.:
- Approximately 40% of all scooter accidents involve head injuries.
- Around 66% of those injured on electric scooters are male.
- The majority of injured e-scooter riders are between 18-34 years of age.
- Broken and fractured bones make up about 27% of all electric scooter injuries.
- 8% of scooter accident victims require hospitalization, with 17% of those individuals requiring intensive care.
- 19% of all injured riders believe that a malfunction caused their accidents.
Common Scooter Accident Injuries
Scooter crashes can lead to a wide range of injuries. However, some of the more frequently sustained injuries include the following:
Cuts and bruises - These are the most common injuries sustained in scooter accidents and can occur even in minor crashes.
Sprains and strains - Twisting or falling from the scooter can lead to these injuries.
Broken bones - Falling off an electric scooter or colliding with a vehicle can result in fractured or broken bones.
Neck and back injuries - Scooter crashes can cause painful, debilitating neck and back injuries.
Head injuries - These can be serious and even fatal, especially if the rider is not wearing a helmet at the time of the crash.
Can You Sue the Micromobility Company After a Scooter Accident?
If your crash was caused by a malfunctioning scooter, you might have a case against the company. Product liability law covers cases where a defective product causes an accident and subsequent injuries. So, if the scooter you were riding had a defect or design flaw, or if the company provided inadequate warnings or instructions, the micromobility provider could be held responsible for your losses.
What to Do After a Scooter Accident
If you were involved in an accident while riding a Lime, Bird, or other electric scooter, take the following steps right away:
- Report the accident - Call 911 and ask that an officer and ambulance be sent to the scene.
- Seek immediate medical attention - Your health is the top priority. Even if your injuries seem relatively minor or emergency personnel choose not to transport you to the hospital, it is always best to see a doctor immediately so your injuries can be properly diagnosed and treated.
- Document the accident and your injuries - Take photos and video of the accident scene, your injuries, and the scooter. Also, be sure to keep all of your medical records, medical bills, and any other documentation showing the nature and extent of your losses.
- Consult with a Federal Way scooter accident lawyer - An experienced attorney can guide you through the legal process and help you understand your rights as an injured victim. Your lawyer will also work to get you the compensation you deserve by negotiating on your behalf and/or representing your best interests in court.
Injured While Riding a Lime Scooter? Contact Ranz Injury Law
While electric scooters are a fun and convenient way to get around the state of Washington, riding electric scooters can be dangerous - especially in high-traffic areas. Since they provide very little protection in the event of a crash, riders often sustain serious, long-term injuries that result in significant losses, such as medical bills, lost wages, pain and suffering, and more.
If you were injured while riding an electric scooter in the greater Tacoma area, Ranz Injury Law, PLLC, can help. Our scooter accident attorneys in Federal Way are dedicated to protecting the rights of our clients and will do everything within our power to get you the best possible outcome. To learn more, contact our office online or call (206) 429-5227 to schedule a free consultation.